Sunday, October 20, 2019

Weaving and Bookbinding

After a long while, I've pulled out my riged heddle loom once again, and did a bit of weaving.
One thing I wanted to try is mixed-media weaving. Here's it fabric, yarn and paper stripes mixed. The result is okay, though I'm not so sure now, what I'm going to do with it. For now I consider it an exercise.
More practical is this rag rug I've made, using fabric stripes from old t-shirts and bed sheet covers. I still need to fix the fringes, but other than that I really love it.
There might be a second one in the near future, as I have plenty of fabric left.
I also did some book binding using a combination of the accordion binding and the simple coptic binding. The book is 15 x15 cm and perfect to store CDs.
For the leaves I used the sleeves from old floppy discs we trashed this week at work (I did ask if I could have some - we had tons). So basically, this is some form of upcycling.
I had to do the coptic binding twice, as the book behaved very differently depending if it is full of CDs or not. First time round, it was way too tight, but now I'm really happy.
The cover paper is from my first experiments with paste paper making last year. I think I have enough material to make about 10 of those books.

No comments: