Sunday, October 21, 2018

Go Flames!

A couple of years back I went on vacation in the Canadian Rockies. Before I went there, I flew to Calgary and spent a night there. The next morning, while I was walking around, I was quite astonished when I saw a fire truck pass by with a big banner on the front which said 'Go Flames!'
I later learned that the Calgary Flames are a professional ice hockey team based in Calgary that, at that time, was competing in the Stanley Cup.
Anyway, my last quilt finish is also called Flames, but has nothing to do with ice hockey or any sport at all.
The quilt is from Rebecca Bryan's book 'Modern Rainbow'. I pretty much followed the pattern exactly and love how it came out. Mostly I like how fresh it looks, with the clear colors and the grey sashing that binds everything together.
I did use a small roll of 2 1/2" stripes in rainbow colors I bought at the Quiltmanufactur in Frankfurt together with some fabric from my stash.
For the back I used another roll in solid colors together with a greyish fabric reclaimed from a duvet cover.
The quilt top was finished back in May, but the quilting took some time (mostly because I refused to quilt in the summer when it was so hot). First I did sew along the grey strips in the sashing using my walking foot then free motion quilted a feather into each diamond.
I love how the quilt turned out. It doesn't have a home yet (and no label ... need to make a label), but I'm sure I'll find a place for it in the end.

Sunday, October 07, 2018


I've been working on this afghan for quite a while. It was abandoned for more than a year, when I picked it up again last month.
Basically, it's brown, blue and off white yarn left over from all kind of projects in more or less similar weight. I crocheted a simple ripples pattern, picking the colors pretty much random, except that I tended to go light-dark-light-dark, just to show of the ripple pattern nicely.
I didn't run out of yarn so much as deciding that I'm done (though I did manage to plow through quite a bit of my stash yarn and the selection got a bit thin in the end)
The size is 155 x 170 cm, which I think is a pretty decent size.
I still need to give it a wash (which, considering how many different yarns are in there, will be by hand in the tub - oh joy)