Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ain't It Kool?

Dying wool with Kool-Aid is really, really easy (and, as it is using only approved food colors, it's also save)

I started with some Wollmeise Twin in the 'color' nature (aka undyed Wollmeise). I wound the yarn into five skeins of circa 20g each and put them in lukewarm water to soak for half an hour.

I used then a pickle jar and added about 200ml hot water (the marker is for me so I don't have to measure every time). Then I added the content of 1 package of KoolAid (here it's lemon lime)

In goes the yarn. I then placed the jar into my microwave and nuked it for about 2 min (if the water is clear the dye has all been absorbed by the yarn and it's basically finished)

I left the yarn in the water until it has cooled of, rinsed it and - voila - bright, colorful yarn.

From top to bottom:

- 1 pack of lemon lime
- 1 pack of blue berry
- 3 packs of grape (I did first one pack, but decided that it's too pale and repeated the process with two more - I think 1 more would has done it, too)
- 1 pack of cherry and then a second round with 1 pack dark cherry (the cherry alone was no different then the last skein)
- 1 pack tropical punch

The colors are bright and vivid and I'm looking forward to knitting something with them.

Only ... what to knit?

Sunday, March 18, 2012

...And Off The Needles

Finished three of the four project from last week.

First one is the Castlegar Cardigan - and the problem is, I hate it. Well, maybe 'hate' is a little bit too harsh, but after I put it on yesterday the first time after washing, I looked at myself in the mirror and thought to myself I'll never wear this in public. For once it's not really my style - the model is sort of 'cutesy' and I don't exactly do cute. And, in the end the cardigan is a good two sizes too large, too.
So, I'm not going to show any pictures (sorry, but it's really for the best) and I will rip the whole thing up to reuse it for another project. I already may have an idea .....

What I finished and like and never will rip up, is my scrap yarn pillow. Perfect size (roughly 45 x 45 cm), I love the colors and it had been a load of fun making it.Hmm, lets see, what scrap yarns do I still have ....

Then I have a new pair of socks. They will stay with me for a change, even though it looks like the time I need woollen socks may be over soon.

Because it looks like spring finally has arrived.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

On The Needles

Four projects in progress (though only three pictures - the socks, well, they are socks, nothing exciting or so)

Project A) A Crazy Patchwork Blanket.
I while ago I was suckered into buying acrylic yarn in 10 different colors. I'm no big fan of acrylic yarn, but, hey, it was cheap, so I actually bought some more, only to realize that if I want it out of my stash I have to do something with it one day.
Along comes this pattern from one of the blogs I follow.

This is maybe 15% into the project and currently I'm taking a break from it to knit ...

Project B)
This is the Castlegar Cardingan by Laure Chau in Wollmeise Twin 'Blaue Tinte'. It is knitted bottom-up and just yesterday I put everything on one needle (450 stitches) and started knitting the yoke.
This is good, fairly mindless knitting and I'm mostly working on it while watching 'Castle' on TV (I just bought the third season on DVD - love that show)
As this is sometimes mindnumbingly boring, I alternate with ...

Project C) Scrappy Yarn Pillow
I have a pile of leftover yarn in DKish weigth. I picked some colors I thought might harmonize, then cast on 200 stitches and make up the pattern as I go.
The size turns out ot be in the 43 ~ 45 cm width range. I gave it a bath (still on the needles) and blocked it lightly to see how much I still have to go. Answer is: not very much. So I've stopped for now and will see how the pillow fits (which, of course is a 'The Other Place' and not accessable until next Friday), then I will add a little bit more, just enough to sew in a zipper.