Wednesday, September 28, 2016

And Another Pillow

Pillows are dangerous. They are smallish projects, usually not very much material is required, they are good to try a new technique, and come with a quick satisfaction as they usually can be finished in a few hours.
Only, how many pillows can one pile on her sofa or couch without loosing all space to sit on? (actually, I do sort of have a four pillow limit on my couch)
After finishing all the fishes from my gold fish pond quilt (I made a total of 72 fish) I had a lot of blue and teal scraps. Somehow I started playing with them and before I knew it I had 16 small wonky log cabin blocks pinned onto my design wall.
I added a narrow sashing, quilted some circles on the finished fabric, and had a ready front for yet another pillow.
For the back I tried some sew and slash technique that is currently the hype on the 'net (I saw some really nice, nice stuff) I wasn't particular fussy and added an open zipper simply by ripping open one of the seams and sticking the zipper in (it's the back, so I don't particular care)
On Friday I'm going to link up to Finish It Up Friday on Crazy Mom Quilts.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

More Chocolate

I made a second Ritter Sport bag. This is one is much smaller, only 2 x 2. I experimented a bit with sewing the wrappers on a base first (some cheap, light cotton I had around), before forming the bag. It worked okayish, and has the added bonus that no additonal lining is needed.
The bag is a good size for a smallish knitting project (it holds socks right now)

Speaking of smallish knitting projects, I finished a stole. The name of the pattern (if you can call it that) is actually 'stole'. It knit 10, purl 10 for 360 stitches, each color for 26 rows.
I used Lang Yarns Merino 400 lace in eight different colors. After blocking it's about 45cm wide and a good 200cm long.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Purse, The Second

After the first try wasn't quite what I had hoped for, I went straight for a second 'Gerda' money purse.
 This time the outside is made with fake leather with an appliqued star made from the cork fabric.
 For the inside I chose light gray, black and a dash of gold. I went also for the option with eight card pockets.
This one came out much better than the first one, and got immediatly pressed into service. If I should make a third one (and this is a big 'if'), I'd modify the pattern to add one extra pocket for my id card. And I would try to figure out what I'm making wrong with the inner pocket zipper. For though I managed to sew it in right side-up this time, I still have some raw edge fabric on the outside of the inner pocket.

I'm going to link to greenfietsen's Taschen-Sew-Along.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Money Purse

I've made myself a purse.
The pattern is 'Grete' by machwerk. Great pattern with tons of pictures, so all mistakes are clearly my fault.
For the outside I've chosen a cork fabric, which I used once before for a notebook cover. It has a great haptic and I thought it would work good for a purse.
For the inside I picked a couple of different fabrics. Though I'm in princible happy with my choices, I think I should have chosen something else for the side panels. I used some old fabric I had around (you know, all in the spirit of upcycling) but it turned out to be not stiff enough.
Somehow I managed to sew in my inner zipper upside down and I had to rip it out, turn it around and sew in again by hand (*yuck*). Also my choice for the outer zipper was too big for the teeth, which made it un-wielding, and looks un-professional.
Finally mistake I did was to sew the card pockets too small (I managed to miss-read a 6cm width for a 5 cm width (*doh!*)
I totally plan on making a second one and labels this one as a learning experience.