Sunday, June 29, 2014

Works in Progress

Sorry, nothing finished to show. I'm knitting something (of course), but I'm not sure if I'm happy with it, or if I even will finish it.
There was a sock I was knitting up to yesterday, but then I did rip up as it wouldn't fit over my heel when I tried it on. So another pattern needs to be found.
Patchwork wise I'm not working on any big project, just some playing around with scraps (I still have plenty left)
This here is pre-work for a bag I'm making.
I'm using a product called Quilter's Grid. Basically it's a fusible interface where some clever bloke has printed an inch wide grid. I'm using 2 inch squares and laid out a pattern 11 x 10 squares. Next step is to iron the squares to the interface. As the fabric pieces are attached to the interface, they don't move anymore and that makes sewing super easy. With a few quick seams you end up with every square perfectly aligned.
Easy peasy.
The picture above also shows how much you loose in size. For each 2 inch square I'm loosing 0.5 inch for the seams. So out of originally 22 x 20 inch (55cm x 50cm) I'm ending with only 16.5 x 15 inches (41.2cm x 37.5cm)

I'm also playing around with something called ticker tape quilting. Basically, you grap a little scrap and sew it on top of some other piece of fabric. They you grap another scrap, place it next the the first one and sew it on. And so on. This is a great technique for quilting on the go.
What I've done so far, however, is not to do any sewing yet. I just did some layout and attached all the little piece using pins.
That's what I've come up with:
I do like it a lot, except for the sun, which should be a moon, so I'll need to do some redesigning.
Funny thing is that I acually started out with the sun and it developed from there.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Hauptsache: Bunt!

The next quilt top is done.
The pattern is a modified HST pattern (HST - half square triangles) starting with 5 inch and 2 inch squares. I used a lot of scaps and farbics I usally wouldn't use. Everything was allowed (well, I decided against using any pink and black/white fabirc, but everything else was fair game). I used left-overs from a couple of Kona and batic charm packs a had laying around, as well as lots and lots of 5 inch squares I cut a while ago.
I framed the center in the same basic white I used for the HSTs and used even more sraps for the outer frame. It came out at 170 x 150cm (68 x 60 inches)
One would think I managed to make a dent into the sraps I have.
... nope, not really.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Blue Cloud

Two years ago I made a large wrap / shawl out of Wollmeise Lace yarn. The pattern I used is called 'Nuvem' ('Cloud'). The wrap has seem a lot of use since then and so I decided to make a second one.
 As I had a lot lot different blue lace yarns sitting around (some still on the skein, others left overs from various projects) I've used a blue light-to-dark transision. The yarns I used are:
- Zauberglöckchen Babyalpaka (this I got at a Ravelry meeting)
- Puppy New 2ply (from Japan)
- Zephyr Wool-Silk 2/18 (bought in San Fransisco)
- Regia Lace (bought in Dresden)
- Wollmeise Lace (I had a bit left from another project, plus I found somebody, who sold me another 100gr)
 I'm very much in love with the finished project, only that with temperatures around 35 °C, I'm not going to need it at the moment.

On Saturday I also had a visitor in my appartement.