Thursday, January 24, 2013

Exercise in Dwarven Design

I may have mentioned that I really like the new Hobbit movie (I just went and saw it again last night).
One of the things I love are the costumes and all the lovely details that go into them. A great book for people like me who love the art and design that goes into the movie is this here: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - CHRONICLES: Art

Anyway, when I saw the celtic knotwork pattern that adores some of Kili's costume (and, as I have found out in the meantime, also can be found on Fili's coat), I though that this could be made into a knitting pattern. Or at least I should be able to work out if this can be tranformed into a cable pattern.
So, here's a close up of the pattern as it is on the costume:


And here's my swatch with the cable pattern (this is like version 3, but finally I'm totally happy with it):

And if you want to try it out on your own, here's a chart:

The swatch is three repeats of the chart.
Sadely this is a bit wide to use in a sock (which was my first thought), but it should work fine on the back of a fingerless glove or simply as a band in a sweater or cardigan. Or, maybe as a trim on a hood/scarf combination.

No comments: