Friday, March 10, 2017

Modern Hexies

Last weekend I had a workshop at the Quiltmanufaktur in Frankfurt.
The topic was 'Modern Hexies' and as I happened to have already a lot of hexies prepared I went to make a table runner (aim of the workshop was a pillow).

We learned two different methods to prepare the hexies (the classical one where you sew the hexis on the base and then the one with a fabric glue)
Then we learned how to prepare the background and fix the hexies to it before sewing them on.
As the sides of the hexies stay open when using this method, it's not recommended to make a quilt from it, but it's totally fine to make a pillow, a wall hanging, or, as in my case, a table runner.
Fixing the hexies in such a way that they stay in place while sewing is the hardest part and I had to rip out a couple of them after the first rows were sewn.
The method leaves a nice grid on the backside of the finished product (and it's more green than the petrol in the photo)
It's not perfect, but close enough for me.
I did leave a couple of spots empty, which I think makes for an interesting effect.
The table runner was finished and bound on Wednesday and went directly on to my table.
 I really like the effect and absolutely could think of making something like this again.

3 comments:

Yanicka said...

I really love the colors combination. Very sophisticated

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

it's gorgeous! I love the colour combination, and the texture is incredible - I think I'd spend my time trying to poke at it, which probably wouldn't help it last long but fun along the way!

Ariane said...

It's a beautiful table runner!! Love it!