When sewing a project I sometimes have a block or two left. Sometimes because that block doesn't fit the overall look of a given project, or sometimes because I've made too many blocks (like with the 'Oh My Stars!' quilt, where I decided the quilt top was simply too big and removed a couple of rows before I made the sandwich)
Or sometimes I try something out, not so much because I need it, but because I want to see how it works.
Which means I always have a couple of blocks or patchworked stuff I don't really have a home for.
I call those lonely blocks 'Orphans'.
A while back I stitched a couple of them together in two pieces 70 x 55 cm, planning to eventually make a bag for my cutting mat and maybe with a couple of extra pockets for various rulers.
I didn't have a pattern (I did look at quite a few bags on the 'net but didn't find anything I really liked) so in the end I made something up that works for me.
This is the front containing blocks from an abondond drunkard path project, a test patch from my light house wall hanging (ticker tape), some 'Oh My Stars!' blocks and one of the blocks I did two years ago on the quilting cruise (Nordic Star).
Maybe it's not the most profesional bag in the world, but for the purpose it's intended for it's perfect.
And I found a good home for at least some of my poor orphans blocks.