Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Rug (Or, It Used To Be A T-Shirt)

Last year in February, I cut up a couple of my old t-shirts and made them into a rug for the bathroom. As an experiment it was okay, but there were a few things I wasn't 100% happy with, so now for T-Shirt Rug No.2.
 This time I cut the t-shirts in 2 inch wide stripes and then crocheted around the stripes using old cotton yarn (using a 4.5mm hook)
I used about five t-shirts in total and 4 1/2 skeins of the cotton yarn (all from my stash).
I totally love the result (even if this one is ALSO not laying 100% flat). It's a bit more ... squishy than the first rug and it feels really good on my feet when I get out of the shower.
I've still got a couple of t-shirts I've already have cut up, so I guess I'll make a second one, maybe for the bedroom.

4 comments:

Linda Smith said...

Beautiful. I like the way you did your increases to make it hexagonal. I crocheted a round one like that- with the cotton yarn around the strips of tee shirt. My daughter has it in her bathroom. Then I crocheted another rug with all of my son's outgrown tees. This time, I cut the shirts into continuous 1 inch wide strips, then stretched it out to make it curl up like yarn and crocheted with that. It came out very thick and nice. It is in his bedroom. Both are great.

Carla said...

Hi there! Great idea to use old t-shirts. I started to knit a rug once, but stopped. Thanks for popping by my blog today. You have no e-mail on your profile page so I couldn't reply directly. Enjoy your weekend

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

I have seen rugs made like Linda described but not crocheting around the t-shirt strips. Very cool!! And beautifully done!

Jenny said...

That's a clever idea - your rug looks great!