Friday, May 22, 2020

Swedish Quarter Log Cabin Quilt

One of my favorite collegues is leaving the company nex month, and so I decided to make her a quilt (she's a sewer, so she will appreciate it)
The start of the quilt was basically me going through my scraps and noticing I have a lot of solid blue stripes. I mean, there were really a lot, as I like to use blues for the back of my quilts, and also like to bind quilts with blue.
I've added patterned blue stripes (also had a lot of those) and white(ish) stripes, and, finally, for a splash of oomph, one stripe of bright, sunny yellow to each block. The blocks came to 9 x 9 inches and I made 50 of them, setting them on point with a narrow stripe of white sashing.
 The finally quilt is about 215 x 175 cm (85 x 69 inches)
Quilting was simple wavey diagonal lines left and right to the sashing, and once through the middle of each block. Quick, easy and so much fun.
The yellow and blues reminds me of the Swedish flag, and the white of the snow up north, hence the name: Swedish Quarter Log Cabin Quilt.
This has been a fun quilt to make, and I hope my collegue will like it once I give it to her.
Now I only have to find out when to actually meet her to hand it over, as we are both in home office right now.

No comments: