Sunday, August 11, 2013

Tessallations

According to Wikipedia "a tessellation is the tiling of a plane using one or more geometric shapes, called tiles, with no overlaps and no gaps"
M.C. Escher was very famous (among other things) for his tessallations using animals like fish and birds. janukke, a lovely lady at Ravelry, did come up with a knitting pattern (for an afghan) for the fish tessallation a while ago, and finally I gave it a shot and knitted one of the fishies. And another one. And then another one. I'm now at number 6 and can at least lay out the first of the hexagons.
The pattern is not super difficult, but it does require a lot of attention, so it's far from easy, mindless knitting, but one has to admire the sheare brilliance that has gone into designing the fishes.
I've still got a long way to go and I plan this as a background project, so it will be a long time before I actually have something blanket like.

On the sewing front I've put this little etui together using braided stripes for the outside.
 My minons are quite intreagued what it might contain, but, sorry boys, at the moment there's nothing of interest inside.

No comments: