So, it clearly counted as a long term project.
But, finally, it's done:
Last Thursday was a holiday, so I decided to tackle it again and do the last ten stars that were left.
I added the binding I already had prepared using all the blues I used for the stars, and this morning I finally, FINALLY, finished the quilt.
It is a great quilt (in more than one sense, as it turned out to be 200 x 175 cm - and that's after I removed one row of stars before the quilting even started)
One thing I totally love about the quilt is when I started making the photos, I noticed how the sun was shining through the quilt. This photo is from the back, which is mostly medium dark blue.