Monday, November 10, 2014

Ticker Tape Lighthouse

A while ago, I did see an amazing quilt on Pinterest of an owl done in ticker tape quilting (just google 'ticker tape owl quilt'; a picture should come up)
Back in June I pulled out some of my scraps (there seems to be no end to my scraps) and gave the technique a try. I originally aimed for a table runner, but then what I came up with clearly wanted to be a wall hanging.
It's probably not a surprise from some readers that I do love light houses, so that's what it turned into. If you remember my first picture of the quilt, the sun I had originally now has turned into a moon.
First, I had laid out my scraps in the shape I wanted (I did mark the edges with an resolvable pen, so they were nice and straight). I fixed them first with pins and later with thread, as I didn't want to become a pin cushion, once I took the thing to my machine. This was a bit extra work, but paid well in reduction of ouches on my side.
I did sew the whole thing with different colors of threat, matching the back to the front, so in the back the mirror image of the lighthouse shows up (and I have no idea why the picture is sideways - sorry about that)
The quilt hung for months on my design wall, even though I knew all left to do was to do the binding. Which I finally did last night.
All in all, I'm very happy with the finished product. Now, I only have to decide where to hang it up.

No comments: