Wednesday, January 25, 2017

City Sampler 85

First quilt finish of 2017
The pattern is the Tula Pink City Sampler. I made 85 of the 100 blocks from the book and decided on a layout that sets the blocks on point.
The quilt is 195 x 195cm (77 x 77 inches). I started out with a fat quarter stack of blue and green Kona cotton solid fabrics, then added some more solids and lots and lots of blue and green batics.
For the binding a used the same fabric as the background fabric (which is Kona Cotton in the color of Nightfall), with some extra batics thrown in.
I already wrote about the difficuties I had in deciding on what to do with the actual quilting. In the end I did simple wavy lines using my walking foot. I was surprised that I didn't get any pucker, but for some reasons it just worked. I didn't even change directions between lines.
The quilting matches the quilt quite well, just enough to be there, not too much to take away from the pattern.
Backside is the fabric from a quilt cover I bought at the Swedish furniture store. Big advantage, as there is no piecing involved from my side.

I admit I had some reservations in between, if my color choice was a good one, but now, that everything is together, I think this is my favorite so far.

7 comments:

Petra said...

Super!
Wie immer :)

Alison V. said...

Lovely!

Yanicka said...

I just adore the colors!!!!! So inspiring

Carol said...

Nice dark background! It is fun to see something other than white sometimes.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Beautiful! I love the way you kept it to just a couple of main colours.

Dawn said...

My favorite colors!! Great background.

sonalee said...

beautiful quilt...colour, composition and everything! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment :)
Leena