Sunday, May 03, 2009

Movie Month May

May looks to be good - at least on the movie front and compared to the last four months of the year. I've been to the theater twice since the beginning of the year; once for 'Twilight' (which I, I admit, watched twice) and then for 'Monsters vs. Aliens' (which was cute enough, but didn't blow me away like 'The Incredibles' or some other animation movies I love to pieces)

But May, May looks good.

1) X-Men Origins: Wolverine
I've seen all the other X-Men movies and quite liked them with the exception of X-Men 3, which, honestly, sucked. One of my biggest complains about those movies, though, is that my favorite X-Men character is missing in all of them (though I have to admit, if they had underused him like they did i.e. Angel in the last one, it would have been even worse). Now, Gambit's finally there and, wow, he's so cool (still not enough of him, but at least the part is good, and he's gotta kick ass)


It doesn't hurt either that Mr.-Sexiest-Man-Alive aka Huge Jackman is also in the movie quite a bit (*cough, cough*).
I went to see it on Friday and quite enjoyed it and am going to watch it once more with a friend tomorrow night.

2) Star Trek
I've been a Star Trek fan for a long time now. Much less active in the last 15 years or so, but I've did it all: I had the uniform, the toys, the magazines, I did go to conventions and spent nights on movie marathons. I used Star Trek to learn English and most of my friends I've met through the fandom. I've been through the up and downs that come with being a fan of the franchise and for the last couple of years I've thought it to be over with.
But I'm really excited about the new movie. What I've seen so far does look very, very nice and I'm looking forward to seeing it next weekend.
I even would dig out my old uniform, if I though it would still fit *wink*

3) Angels & Demons
I loved the book, but I am a bit apprehensive if Ron Howard is able to give it justice on the big screen. Davinci Code was already a let down, really, and so I will go into that movie with a good dose of scepticism.
Still I'm planning on going.

4) Terminator Salvation
I'll be back!
Who could ever forget Arnie saying those words? It's been 25 years, yes, but this is still one of the most memorable movie quotes there is. I've seen T1 and T2, but skipped out on T3 (I've heard it had been awful ... what is it with those really bad 3rd parts anyway?)
This movie is on my I wouldn't mind watching it, and am willing to fork over the money, but if I should miss out on it, I probably won't be heart broken. Christian Bale is an awesome actor, but I'm a bit afraid the movie will end up to be a little bit too gritty for my taste.

5) Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
The first part of that movie was something that I happened to watch on a plane flight from A to B. Nothing I would have really considered to watch if I had anything else to do, but if you're stuck for hours and hours inside of a big flying tin can, one does get desperate. Surprisingly enough, I liked it, and when it was on TV over Easter I watched it a second time and again, I really enjoyed it.
Hence my willingness to go and see the second part in the theater.


So, in summary, two movies I HAVE TO WATCH, and three I'm more than willing to spend money on, which is way more than what was available over the last four months (or longer)

And, in June there's one more I'm really, really, reallllllllllly looking forward to, and that is Transformers 2. The trailer alone is made of win and it will be so awesome. I've already made a movie date to see it in Reykjavik.

No comments: