Friday, August 25, 2006

Berlin, Berlin

Back from Berlin. The exibition was quite interesting, actually, though I was sort of more interested in how they found the stuff they showed and preserved it, than in the stuff itself (though there were a couple really cool items)
Guess I'm still spoilt from the Tutankhamun exibition I saw a long (long!) time ago in Cologne. Back then they had a lot of items from the treasury and even the famous face mask. I don't think it can get much better than this.

A good thing I had an early start though, as for some strange reason I though the exibition was in the Egyptian Museem - sounded kind of logical to me *shrug*


At least I got a nice picture of the Old National Gallery ;)

I've found out about the place change after a while and headed for the Martin-Gropius-Bau by bus. I was not the only one. I got there just as the show opened and I got in fairly quickly (after queuing to get in, and queuing for the ticket, and queuing for an audio guide and queuing at the cloakroom). It was also pretty full and I was jostled more than once while trying the get to the displays.
When I got out, though, the queue outside was pretty long and it was raining (as you can see on all those little umbrellas) - at least two to three times as long as shown here.

After the exibition I walked around a bit, looked at some remains from the Berlin Wall (actually, the place I'm standing to take the picture above would have been on one side from where the wall used to be and the building would have been on the other side - 20 years ago it would not have been possible to cross the street)

No comments: